Tuesday, April 3, 2012

April Showers

We may get the first April shower of the year tonight. Rain has been forecast for yesterday and today, but nothing has come down so far. We don't really need it after the big rains last week, but I planted things over the weekend that would probably do better with some moisture as they get established. I did a lot of weeding over the weekend, but I did plant out a few more flowers and veggies.

My rabbits have been very happy that we've been able to resume the "bunny salads" in the mornings. Last summer I had begun the habit of going out in the morning and picking them a handful of all kinds of great bunny nibbles--parsley, mint, carrot leaves, cilantro, lettuce, dandelion leaves, radish leaves--always a great variety, and freshly picked. Over the winter the selection dwindled to mostly lettuce from Dillons, and a bit of parsley now and then from the plants I'd been growing indoors. I also tried growing carrot leaves by cutting off the top inch or so of carrots and putting them in water. That helped a bit to give them more greens, but nothing's as good as the full spring garden. The bunns love the variety, and it gives me an excuse for a little rambling around in the garden first thing every morning.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips