Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Summer Oasis

I just came inside a few minutes ago from walking my dog.  As I stepped inside the front gate, hot from the sultry evening, it was so refreshing to hear the sound of splashing water from the little fountain by the front porch, and to smell the jasmine in bloom.



The fountain has two streams of water pouring down a few inches into a lower basin.  I chose it not only for the pleasure it would give me, but knowing that birds are attracted to the sound of splashing water.  So often in the morning, I see several birds around the edges of my little fish pond, getting drinks or bathing.  So many more birds, and more kinds of birds, visit here since I installed the pond and now the fountain.

But it's not only birds that are looking for water in the summertime.  I know that rabbits, squirrels, neighborhood cats, and other small animals appreciate a reliable source of water.

In addition to the pond and the fountain, there are a number of bird baths around the garden.  I have three raised bird baths on pedestals, and three ground level ones.  Some birds prefer ground level food and water sources, plus it gives small animals such as rabbits and toads water they can safely access.  

I keep hoping to encourage toads to live in my garden.  A couple of years ago, a friend gave me a pair of toads that I released into my garden. I am hopeful that they or their descendants may be living here, and that they would invite their friends to come as well.  Toads are great friends for gardeners, as they eat snails, slugs, mosquitoes, flies, cutworms and other nasty critters.  So I make sure that there are several sources of water available on ground level at all times.  I also make sure that there are places they can find shelter from the sun and from overly friendly dogs--there are several toad houses placed around the yard.  The least expensive toad house you can provide is a clay flower pot with a piece broken out of the lip, turned upside down.  I set these near the ground water sources, nestled into bushes or perennial beds where they can stay cool and damp, never out in the sun.

Several times a week, I rinse out the bird baths, so that the water stays fresh, and mosquitoes don't get a chance to breed. The pond is patrolled by fish, who take care of any mosquitoes there.  For the fountain, I use a monthly mosquito dunk.

Between the fountain in the front yard, and the pond in the back, I can enjoy the relaxing sound of splashing water wherever I go in my garden.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips