Thursday, September 6, 2012

Favorite Flowers: Moss Rose

Allergy Index Scale: 2
Annual
Full sun, 4 - 6 inches 
Multi-colored moss rose

Portulaca, generally called moss rose, is a great low-growing plant for hot, sunny areas.  It blooms for much of the summer, with colorful flowers that may be red, orange, pink, yellow, or white, or occasionally variegated.   A single plant may spread up to two feet, so they can make a great ground cover. I like to use them in areas that are hard to reach with the garden hose, as they tolerate hot Kansas sun better than most flowers, and with less watering. They do well along that hot drive, in rock gardens, containers or tumbling over the edges of a hanging basket.



Portulaca is available as plants every spring, or as seeds.  Although they are fairly easy to start from seed, I often buy the plants, as I can then choose the flower color or color combination I prefer. Wait to plant seedlings outside until after the last spring frost.

Keep plants blooming and looking tidy by pinching off dying flowers.  I drop these flowers where I would like plants next year, and they generally oblige, though their flowers will not necessarily be the color of the parent plants. After they bloom, small pods will form that contain the developing seeds.  Wait until these little pods pop off easily, then collect the seeds or drop the pods where you want plants next year.

Pink and white moss rose
Portulaca prefers a well-drained soil, and not too much water, and may suffer from root rot if over-watered. Because my yard tends to be heavier clay, I try to be sure to plant them in slightly elevated areas, in containers, or beds that have benefited from several years of compost being dug in.

- - - - - - - - - - 

At the top of posts about plants, you will notice the "allergy index scale" rating for each plant I discuss.  The Ogren Plant Allergy Scale rates the allergy potential of a plant, but of course does not indicate whether you or anyone else actually is allergic to it.  In this scale, 1 is the best rating, with the least potential to cause allergic reactions; and 10 is the worst rating, with the most potential to cause allergic reactions. Because portulaca are rated 2, quite low on the scale, I plant them where ever they work best, with no concern about allergic reactions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite flowers too, and so easy to grow! Mine comes back most years, but I didn't know if it was the roots regrowing, or from seeds it dropped.

Anonymous said...

I'm collecting the little seed pods this year, and I'm going to try to start these in another sunny place in my yard. Love moss rose!

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips