Monday, February 4, 2013

Winter Sowing

Getting ready for winter sowing.
Today I started planting my garden for the summer--way earlier for outdoor planting than I would have ever thought possible before!  Over the last several months, I'd run into mention of "winter sowing" using plastic milk jugs like tiny greenhouses, and found fascinating descriptions of this method of starting plants.  It is supposed to avoid the all-too-prevalent problem of damping off, and gives the gardener seedlings with healthy root systems that do not need to be hardened off before planting.  I decided to try it for myself.



First, I chose seeds for plants that are fairly hardy: plants that reseed themselves naturally in this climate.  For this first experiment, I selected coneflowers, bachelor's buttons, parsley, chives, sweet peas and four o'clocks.  I'd asked my family to save gallon milk jugs for me.  I also needed a permanent marker, duct tape, scissors, and seed-starting soil.

Labeling the bottom of the jug

First, I marked the name of each type of seed on the bottom of a milk jug.  Here it will be protected from the elements, and should not fade out.  This way I'll know which set of tiny little leaves are which plant.








Cutting around the jug
Next, I cut several slits in the bottom of each jug, to allow for drainage. Then I cut several more slits around the top of each jug. Last, I cut around three sides of each jug, horizontally just below the base of the handle.






I mixed the seed starting soil with enough water to moisten it, and put several inches of the moist soil in the bottom of each jug.  The cut around three sides of the jug allowed me to fold the jug open, using the intact side as a hinge.






Then I planted the seeds in the jugs, checking to be sure the seeds were the ones marked on the bottom of the jug.  I used duct tape around the jug to re-seal the cut.






The finished milk jugs are on the patio on the east side of the house, where they will be somewhat sheltered from the wind, yet receive sunlight.  Rain and snow can reach the soil through the open mouth of the jug, plus through the slits I cut around the top.  If we don't get rain, I can sprinkle water through the jug mouth to keep the soil slightly moist.  Any excess water can drain through the slits cut in the bottom.




Over the next weeks, the seeds can slowly start to germinate. They will have the shelter of the plastic jugs, yet will have outdoor sunshine.  As we get closer to spring, I will enlarge the cuts in the top and keep a closer eye on moisture.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips