Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Welcoming the Orioles

Oriole feeder
Over the weekend I brought out my oriole feeder, and put out the first batch of grape jelly for this year.  Orioles are due to start returning to the area in a week or so, and it's good to have your feeders out as they come so that they choose to settle down and nest in your yard.  The males arrive first to find and stake out their territories, and then the females join them.  I have so enjoyed watching these colorful birds in my yard over the last couple of years, and all it takes is a constant supply of grape jelly, and an occasional slice of orange.  Orioles are attracted by the color orange, so feeders and nectar designed for them generally use this color.


Update: 4/30/13
The jelly had begun disappearing from the feeder late last week.  This evening, I was sitting in my living room which overlooks this feeder, when I saw two orioles having a little discussion over who would get to eat first.  I was so thrilled to see them back again!

Update: 5/9/13
This morning the jelly cup was empty, so I brought it in to wash and refill.  I was out of grape jelly, and no time to run to the store before work, so I put apricot preserves in instead.  On the way home, I stopped and got the jelly.  I wondered if the preserves would still be sitting there untouched, but the cup was empty.  Of course, I don't know what they were saying about me all day, when they found this other stuff in their dish!


No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips