Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Enjoying Spring


Spring is really here, though some days still have a chilly bite, and some nights still get down into the 30s, and I have to bring some of the seedlings back into the house. Every year I feel that my garden is better than ever before, as plants become better established, and I have had another year to adjust and change things.

So many of my spring bulbs seemed to do well this year, such as the dwarf iris to the left. They don't bloom long, but they're one of the first flowers of the year. I love to see their tiny flowers spreading slowly from year to year. I've enjoyed bringing some of the less common plants into the garden.


It's also been a pleasure learning about plants for the shadier areas. I've had to learn a whole new repertoire for these areas. At first I found it daunting, as felt that shade plants offered little variety or color, but now I like them best. It has encouraged me to focus more on foliage, not just flowers, and to deal more with texture and shape rather than just color.

Also, as I've been dealing with more drastic allergies, I've had to deal with choosing plants that present less allergy potential, rather than fill my yard with things that will add to the overload on my system. I consider this every time I choose a new plant, or need to replace a plant. Again, though, I find enough plants with low allergy ratings that I really am not feeling too constrained by this.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips