Monday, July 8, 2013

Veggie Garden, early July

Tonight I picked a lovely tomato to slice onto my sandwich; the first large tomato from my garden this year.  Up to now it had been cherry tomatoes coming ripe, which are great for salads and snacks, but I do love fresh tomato for sandwiches.  There are lots more green tomatoes that should be ripening soon.


The green beans are coming along very well, and I should pick my first batch of them later this week.  I was looking at the cantaloupe vines, and found several small melons getting started.  The peppers are setting on, and I've already picked and eaten the first of those.  The cucumbers are growing rapidly, but haven't produced anything yet.

The problem area is the berries, which are beginning to ripen, and trying to beat the birds to them is a challenge.  I have both blueberries and blackberries, and love either one for salads, ice cream topping, smoothies, and cobblers.

The forecast for tomorrow night shows a chance of rain, and I'm hoping that will come.  After relatively mild weather last week, it's turned hot, and that rain would be most welcome.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips