Sunday, November 17, 2013

Final Harvest

Sweet peppers
After last week's hard freeze, I needed to clean up the garden bed where my sweet peppers had grown this year.  As the weather started cooling off earlier this fall, I'd covered that bed with a sheet of clear plastic, to help keep the pepper plants growing a little longer.  Every year, I get the biggest harvest of peppers right at the end of the season. By covering the bed with plastic, the plants live a few weeks longer, which gives a whole different "generation" of peppers a chance to grow to edible size.


In the photo, you can see the peppers I picked this weekend. Those fruits right against the plastic were frost-damaged, but most were just fine. This will give me plenty of peppers for use fresh right away, and the rest I'll cut up and freeze to enjoy all winter long.



No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips