Monday, November 4, 2013

Preparing for Upcoming Frost

Over the weekend, I emptied out my little garden fountain for the fall and put it away in the garage.  One night this week the forecast shows it may get below freezing, so I need to make sure that everything in my garden is ready. All the plants I plan to save over the winter have been brought indoors, or put in my pop-up greenhouse.  I've taken cuttings of coleus and other plants to root over the winter and repot for next year.


I've been cleaning out and storing flower pots in the garage. It's also time to empty out the rain barrels, and either move them into the garage, or turn them upside down, so that water can't collect inside.  As water freezes, it expands, and could damage the barrels or their fixtures.

There's a lot more garden work to be done this fall, but I should soon have things ready for that first hard freeze.


No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips