Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Less Aggressive Wisteria

Amethyst Falls wisteria
A couple of years ago, after doing some research, I finally chose a variety of wisteria to plant in my garden.  I've always loved wisteria, but know that it can be quite aggressive in the garden, requiring constant trimming to keep under control.  However, the native American wisteria is less vigorous than those from Japan or China, and fits more easily into the garden with less work.  The Amethyst Falls cultivar I chose is an improved American variety.


Last year the vine did produce a number of flowers in the late spring; but this year it has really hit its stride, and is just covered in a lovely cascade of lavendar-blue flowers.

In late winter, I trimmed back some of the longest branches to shape the plant along the fence where I want it to grow.  Once it's done blooming, I'll trim it again lightly, to help keep its shape, and to encourage it to bloom again a bit this summer.  Wisteria doesn't need a lot of fertilizing; once in late winter with a complete fertilizer is all it needs. Too much nitrogen would just produce a lot of leaves, but not flowers.


No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips