Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Bougainvillea Vine

Night temperatures here are creeping lower and lower; with many nights now in the 40s. Tomorrow night is forecast to get down into the 30s.  So I've been moving the last few plants that I plan to keep over the winter indoors. I don't have enough sunny windows in my house to keep all my plants going over the winter, and there are some painful decisions to make every fall.  Is a certain plant going to do well indoors, is there enough room for it, or do I just leave it out to die in the cold?

When a plant has flourished over the summer, and is looking terrific, it's especially hard to give up on it.  One such plant is my bougainvillea vine.  Bougainvillea are tropical plants, and love warm, sunny weather.  In tropical regions, they are perennial, but in cold-winter areas, they are grown as an annual, or as a potted plant. 

If you want to overwinter your bougainvillea, you'll need to find your sunniest window for it.  They need at least five hours a day of direct sun to do well. 

My bougainvillea is in a very large pot, which makes it harder to keep indoors.  But I am reluctant to repot it into a smaller container. Bougainvillea don't transplant well, as they do not tolerate having their roots disturbed.  I wish I'd put it in a smaller pot to start with, and kept it trimmed down as a bonsai.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips