Thursday, October 17, 2013

Potted Parsley

With winter coming, one of the things the bunnies and I really miss is all of the wonderful fresh herbs from the garden.  In the summer, I grow parsley, rosemary, basil, chives, and several kinds of mint.  Every summer morning, I bring in a "bunny salad" of various greens and herbs for the rabbits.  I use a lot of these herbs in my cooking too.


When things outside die off, we only have lettuce from the grocery store and whatever herbs I can keep growing indoors or in the greenhouse.  The hardest thing about growing herbs indoors is making sure they have enough light.  Even my sunniest window doesn't give them the 6-8 hours they need; so I have to supplement the natural light with plant lights.

Last evening I dug up three of the parsley plants from the garden and repotted them to bring indoors.  I made sure to use pots with drainage holes and a soil mix with plenty of organic matter. Herbs need good drainage as well as lots of light.

The plants I won't be bringing inside will be harvested before the first hard frost.  I dry washed parsley in a paper grocery bag clipped shut and placed in a cool, dry room.  The bag keeps dust off as it dries.  Once it's thoroughly dried, I crumble the leaves and store it in glass jars. It's best to use the dried parsley within a year.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips