Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Late Bloomer

Morning glories in October
Late last spring I planted a variety of flowering vines in one of the containers on the west side of my house.  There was morning glory, purple hyacinth bean vine, and sweet peas; all planted from seed.  The sweet peas bloomed early in the summer, and then as it became hot, died off.

The other vines continued to grow, but never bloomed.  During the mid-summer rainy season, then during the August/September heat, I kept checking the vines in the hope of seeing flowers.  I had really hoped to collect seeds from the flowers to replant next year.

Finally, yesterday, I was stunned to see a flower on the vines when I came home from work.  Not only did the vine wait until the middle of October to bloom, but it was a morning glory flower open at 6:00 in the evening!  Talk about a late bloomer!

Heavenly Blue morning glory

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips