Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Earthworm Rescue

Today's rescuees exploring their new home
Last night we got another half inch of rain, so I was not surprised to see quite a few earthworms in the water along the curbs when I was walking my dog this morning.


Earthworms often crawl out onto sidewalks and streets when it rains. There seems to be different ideas about why they do this: whether avoiding drowning, or to get together with other worms for mating. But when they get too far from the soil and can't find their way back, or get swept away by rain, they may be stranded out on a concrete surface, and often die.  Birds eat them, they drown, they get stepped on, or they are dehydrated in the sun.

So a lot of times when I'm on a walk after a rain, I gently pick worms up and set them back on the grass, or collect them in a plastic cup and bring them home.  My yard can always use a few more good worms! As long as they're still squirming, it's not too late to help them.


No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips