Sunday, August 25, 2013

Weed Prevention Time

Today I applied corn gluten to my yard.  Corn gluten serves as a slow release high-nitrogen fertilizer, which is great for feeding your lawn; plus it prevents the germination of seeds, which keeps weeds from getting established.  It doesn't kill anything that's already growing, just stops seedlings from establishing roots.  Don't apply corn gluten to your lawn if you plan to overseed in the next couple of months.


Earlier this year, I'd learned more about the best timing for applying the corn gluten to do the best job of preventing the weeds that tend to be my biggest problems.  Chickweed, for example -- to prevent chickweed you need to apply corn gluten in August as well as in the spring. In the past, I'd put on the fall application in November, which was too late, as seedlings had already become too well-established for a pre-emergent to control. I'm hoping that next year, with this better timing, I'll have a lot fewer of these weeds than before.




No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips