Saturday, August 31, 2013

Update on Dog Allergies

Theo
Earlier this summer I wrote about my dog's allergies, which have tormented him every summer since I first got him.  Because his symptoms generally start up in the late spring and continue until hard frost, I tend to assume that they are allergies to grass.  Allergies to trees usually occur in earlier spring, and weed allergies mostly in the late summer and early fall.


Poor Theo's allergic reactions include red, itchy skin all over his body; frantic scratching; rubbing his muzzle on the carpet; and incessant chewing and licking at his feet.

In the past, I had tried treating the problem with oatmeal baths, wiping his feet when he came back indoors, and adding omega 3 fatty acids to his diet.  None of these things did all that much to help.  Even giving him Benadryl twice daily did not seem to alleviate the problem very much. Last summer it was bad enough that the vet gave him Prednisone, which he was to have on alternating days with Benadryl.  That helped control the worst symptoms, but I hated giving the poor dog so much medication, and he still wasn't very comfortable.

Over the last winter, I had read about giving dogs virgin coconut oil to control allergies.  You have to start well in advance of their allergy season, to give it time to build up in their system. Also, too much coconut oil too suddenly can cause really bad diarrhea.  So last spring I began very gradually to introduce coconut oil into his diet.  I put a tiny amount on his food every evening.  He loved it.

Gradually I increased the amount of coconut oil, giving him some morning and evening, until we got up to a teaspoonful for every ten pounds of his body weight.

Earlier this summer, Theo began licking his feet, and I was most disappointed.  I wondered if the coconut oil was going to help or not.  However, the foot-licking and scratching has never become nearly as bad as most summers.  On a few days when it seemed worse, I did give him Benadryl.  I have used the baby wipes to clean his feet occasionally after he has been out in the yard. 

With the summer nearly over, I feel that the coconut oil has been a great success. A complete cure -- no.  But Theo has had far less severe symptoms this year, and has been much more comfortable than in any summer since I have known him.  That has been with far less medication, which pleases me too. I have also appreciated how much softer and shinier his coat has been since I began the coconut oil.

This fall and winter I may taper off the coconut oil I give Theo, but I plan to resume treatment next spring, and hope that it will help protect him from his allergies in the future as well as it has this year.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips