Thursday, May 30, 2013

Dog's Allergies

Theo 
Every summer my dog, Theo, suffers from allergies.  He constantly licks and chews on his feet, and scratches himself.  His skin is horribly red and irritated.  This starts in May and doesn't end until the first frosts of fall.



Dogs can have allergies to all the same kinds of things humans do: pollen, dust, dander, feathers, mold spores, foods, cleaning products, cigarette smoke, insect bites, and more.  Symptoms can include itchy red skin, constant licking and chewing on himself, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea, itchy runny eyes, and itchy ears.

Allergy most often occurs because of continued over-exposure to a possible allergen over an extended period of time.

If your dog has allergies, visit your veterinarian.  Sometimes after examination and taking the dog's history, a vet can help discover the source of the dog's problem. If the allergy is caused by a food or something that can be avoided, that is the easiest situation to deal with.

Because Theo shows no symptoms except during the summer months, I suspect that he is allergic to grass; specifically bermuda grass. I am allergic to it too.  I have been trying to get rid of bermuda from my yard for several years now, but it is a long struggle. Bermuda grass emits pollen pretty much all summer, and flowers when only about 1/2 inch high, so mowing doesn't help. It's all over in my yard, and those of many of my neighbors. So poor Theo can't avoid his allergen.

During the summer months I wipe his feet down with a wet cloth when he comes back inside to remove pollen. It can also help to wipe down his coat overall. I bathe him regularly with a soothing oatmeal shampoo. Allergies can cause dogs to have skin infections.  Some people bathe allergic dogs weekly or semiweekly with a gentle, soothing shampoo. I understand there are also sprays that contain oatmeal or aloe, and other soothing natural substances to help itching.

The next step medically would be to have the dog given an allergy test by a veterinary dermatologist to pinpoint the cause of the allergic reaction, and give the dog allergy shots.  I simply can't afford to do this.

For a couple of years I tried giving Theo omega-3 fatty acids and quercetin. These supplements can sometimes help with the dry itchy skin of allergies, and is what my allergist has me take.  Some people also recommend probiotics and dietary enzymes. For some dogs these are very helpful. Unfortunately, my dog was not one of those who are helped by these dietary supplements.

My vet recommended giving Theo the antihistimine Benadryl to help ease his symptoms. Be sure to discuss this with your vet, and get the proper dosage for your particular pet.  This does help my dog to some degree, but his reactions are so severe, that it is not enough.  Last summer the vet ended up giving him Prednisone; alternating days between Prednisone and Benadryl all summer long.  This did help the dog, but I would prefer not to have him on all this medication.

Over the winter, I ran into information on-line about virgin coconut oil being helpful to dogs with allergies.  As with any nutritional supplement, you have to start giving it a couple of months in advance.  So earlier this spring I began giving Theo coconut oil twice a day.  You have to build up the quantity gradually from a quarter teaspoon to one teaspoon per ten pounds of dog body weight, given twice daily.  Theo loves the coconut oil, and I simply drop his spoonful into his dish, and he is eager to eat it.

After a month or so of the coconut oil, I could tell that Theo's coat was softer and silkier than ever before.  It's too soon to know if it will also help with his allergies, but they usually start about now, so we'll see if they're any better this year.

Here is a list of common plants that may contribute to a dog's allergies: http://www.allergyfree-gardening.com/allergy-plants-for-dogs.html

Update: June 4
I went back and checked my records.  Theo's prescription for Prednisone last year was given on May 21, so his allergies had already got that bad two weeks earlier in the year than we are now.  So far he hasn't started the endless foot-licking, so I am cautiously optimistic that coconut oil has indeed helped him. Even if it doesn't totally eliminate the problem, I'll be happy if we can avoid the Prednisone and maybe not need as much Benadryl. 

Update: July 4
Theo has begun to lick his feet, which is the typical sign that he is suffering from allergies. However, he is not doing it nearly as much as most years.   I have begun to give him Benadryl on some days when his symptoms seem worse, but no need for Prednisone yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous dog! He looks like a real charmer.

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips