Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Anticipation

Wisteria bud
One of the parts of gardening that I enjoy most is the sense of anticipation.  I love going around the garden and looking at all the plants that are budding; savoring the thought of what is about to open into full flower.  It's a bit like a child gazing at the wrapped gifts under the Christmas tree--I know something wonderful is in there, and pretty soon I'll get to see it.




Peony buds



Right now I have four peony bushes loaded with buds, that are close -- ever so close -- to opening.  Just a few more sunny days, and they'll fill the garden with their wonderful color and aroma.






Clematic buds



My clematis vine is budded out, and the first two buds are starting to open this morning.  This cultivar, Crystal Fountain, stays small enough that it can be grown in a large container on a trellis. 









Rose bud


The roses are budding as well.  Here the red-tinted new foliage is covered with dew.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips