Wednesday, May 1, 2013

May Day

Flowering plum tree with hyacinths
The earth laughs in flowers
E.E. Cummings




Columbine in bloom
I remember as a child making little paper baskets, filling them with flowers, and leaving them at neighbors' doors. We'd ring the doorbell and run giggling away so they couldn't see who it was.  Such fun!  We had a hedge of bridal veil spirea bushes that always bloomed just in time for the May baskets. There were usually violets, some late daffodils, and a few other flowers. My mother let us pick whatever flowers from our yard that we wanted for the baskets.

I haven't heard of anyone continuing this charming tradition.  It always seemed such a part of spring. I think of it every year, and wish I had a child around that could do this with me.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just told a friend about those same childhood May Day memories! Sweet!

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips