Sunday, August 18, 2013

Salad Time

A friend gave me a big batch of baby spring greens the other day.  Combined with my fresh-picked tomatoes, cucumbers, and sweet peppers, I've been having some wonderful salads all weekend. 


After the cantaloupe I lost to unknown critters earlier in the week, I was glad to pick a melon for myself today.  I'm looking forward to the first melon from my garden this year. 

I do have a couple of small watermelons that should be getting ready to eat before too long.  They're growing on a trellis in a large container on the patio.  This is a variety that produces "personal" sized melons; so they're small enough to grow on a trellis.  The melons are being supported by old pantyhose, which makes a nice stretchy hammock as they grow.

With all of the rain we've been having here over the last month, garden plants are more prone than usual to fungus diseases.  Nearly all of my roses have some black spot as well. I've been spraying periodically with an organic fungicide, but with the almost-constant drizzle, I'm not sure the spray stayed on long enough to do any good.  The weather forecast this week looks dry, so I'm hoping the latest spraying will have the chance to clear it up now.


1 comment:

happy weed puller said...

Glad you got to dig into a cantaloupe; the melon thief left you some to enjoy. A salad from home grown vegetables - delicious!

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips