Thursday, September 26, 2013

Bringing Plants Indoors

With the coming of fall, I've been watching the weather forecasts for a different reason.  As the nights grow cooler, it will soon be time to bring in for the winter any tender plants that I want to keep.


One plant that I keep overwinter every year is my lemon tree. Potted lemon trees are more susceptible to cold than one in the ground. When nighttime temperatures fall into the 50s, start bringing the tree inside at least at night.

Coleus are quite inexpensive, and easy to grow from cuttings or seed, so many gardeners don't bother to keep them over the winter.  I usually do bring a few in though, as they create a great spot of color over a dark and often dreary season.  Any coleus that I wish to save, I bring in before temperatures get below 50 to avoid cold injury.

If you took any angel wing begonias outside for the summer, be sure to bring them in before winter, and keep them in an area that does not go below 50 degrees.

I keep my tender geraniums (pelargonium) every year, as some I raised from seed, and some have been gifts. They can survive temperatures as cold as 20-25, but I bring them in much sooner than that.

Before I bring a plant indoors, I check it over for any signs of insects. I spray the plant with an insecticidal soap spray and quickly cover it with a large plastic bag for a couple of hours before taking it in.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips