Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fall Vegetables Emerge

 
Lettuce seedlings
Back earlier in September I planted lettuce and carrots in a large planter, so that I'll have fresh veggies on into the winter for myself and my bunnies. Both are plants that can handle cooler temperatures.  Plus, once freezing temperatures come, I'll move the planter into my pop-up greenhouse, which should keep them going quite a while.


In the last couple of days, I've starting seeing the tiny seedlings of the lettuce and carrots emerging.  I've been careful to keep the planter watered, since we're still having hot afternoons.  

Carrot seedlings
This afternoon, a friend helped me set up the greenhouse for the coming cold weather.  The forecast for tonight predicts that it will get below 50 degrees, so I've moved a few of the more tender plants inside it. This greenhouse is only a single layer of tough plastic, but it will help keep the chill off on these cooler nights.  Then in the morning, there's a door to unzip on two sides, which allows air through to keep it from overheating during the day.  I've also put a layer of shade cloth over the top, which helps keep the sunshine from cooking the plants inside.

I have tomato plants and a green pepper in large pots that I have moved into the greenhouse, along with several herbs. This will keep them going past these first cooler nights, so that I can enjoy fresh veggies a little longer.

Update 9/30:  When I unzipped the greenhouse door this morning, it smelled deliciously of rosemary, basil and parsley. 

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips