Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Morning Glories

Morning glories: Grandpa Ott's and Carnivale
As fall is coming, and temperatures are moderating, some flowers have wrapped it up for the year.  Others are taking advantage of this cooler time, and are blooming exuberantly.  My morning glories certainly are!  This morning the vines were just covered in flowers.

Here, morning glories don't start blooming until half-way through the summer, but once they begin, they certainly make up for lost time.



This year I have a mix of two kinds of morning glories: an old-fashioned one called Grandpa Ott's, and Carnivale.  I started the Grandpa Ott's several years ago, from a packet of seeds.  I love the dark purple color, with the touch of pink around the white throat.  I also love the way it reseeds itself.  It's an annual, but since it takes care of itself on coming back each year, it acts like a perennial in my garden.  I like to combine it with other varieties, different ones each year.

This year my second variety is Carnivale.  It has a lively striped coloration, with some flowers nearly plain white, others heavily striped with purple, and some like the lower one on the left, a purple-on-purple stripe.  I like the way the two varieties look together.

Morning glories are a lovely addition to my garden every year.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips