Friday, September 13, 2013

Goldfish Update

In early August, I noticed that the goldfish in my pond were no longer coming up to the surface of the water when I came out to feed them.  This has happened before when herons or egrets from the nearby river have come to visit, and gone fishing in my pond. 


After this kind of visit, when a number of the fish have been eaten, the other fish become far more cautious, and tend to stay down deeper in the water, among the water plants, where they feel safer.  It usually takes them a while before they come up to the surface when I feed them. 

At first I even wondered if any fish were left at all.  After a week or two I did start seeing two or three fish again.  Finally this week the fish seem to have got over their fear, and I am seeing lots of them again at feeding time.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips