Wednesday, June 26, 2013

New Rain Barrel

After the City Council recently discussed setting up a rebate on purchases of rain barrels, I started looking around at local stores to see which ones sell them. There aren't a lot of options around here, but on Sunday I did spot a few at one home improvement store. The one I liked best is the same style as the ones I have in the front yard, but in a darker color. They only had a couple of them left. In years past, once they sell their stock of rain barrels in early summer, they don't get any more in until the next year.  Plus, once the rebates are actively available, there will probably be at least a local minor rush on buying rain barrels. They'd already reduced the price on it, so that did it.  I decided to go ahead and get one while I still could.

Monday evening I used a hacksaw to cut off the downspout. I had carefully measured the height of the rain barrel when set up on concrete blocks. Since you depend on gravity to dispense the water into your watering can, you need to raise the barrel up above ground level.  I got it all put together but found that the little garden hose was not included. So Tuesday on the way home from work, I stopped off and bought one. 

Once I had the hose on it, all I needed was some rain.  To my surprise, we actually had a very light shower that night.  My rain gauge showed about a tenth of an inch the next morning.  I was able to get four watering cans full from the new rain barrel, with even that tiny bit of rain.  The forecast for tomorrow night shows a thirty percent chance of rain.  I'd sure love it if we do get that shower, and enough of one to fill all of my rain barrels.  Now, with five barrels, I could save up to 250 gallons of water at a time.

This is going to be great for my garden!

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips