Thursday, June 13, 2013

Re-Growing Vegetables


Romaine lettuce re-sprouting
Right now I have two pots in my kitchen where I am re-sprouting the root stub from a bunch of romaine lettuce. Once I'd pulled off the leaves to eat, I put the root end into a small pot of soil, and watered it.  Be sure you don't cover the whole thing with soil, just the lower part. I put the pots near a window where they get good light, and check every morning to make sure the soil stays moist.  It is especially important not to let the soil dry out that first week. The photo shows what happens after about a week.  Small leaves are sprouting again.

Romaine can also be started in water.  Stick three or four toothpicks into the sides of the core, and suspend it over a container of water so that the bottom is kept wet.  After a couple of weeks, plant it in soil so only the new leaves show. Several websites where I have seen this discussed describe growing whole new heads of lettuce this way.

This also works with celery.  Keep the root end intact and cut it off about two inches above there, and put it in a container with 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water. It will begin to sprout and grow roots. After a week or two, it will be ready to plant in soil.

With carrots, cut off about the top inch of a carrot, and use toothpicks as described above.  The root part we normally eat will not regrow, but the leafy tops will. Carrot greens are edible, and can be added to soups and salads (or given to pet bunnies, as Petey pointed out!).

Or try re-growing onions by cutting off the onion a half inch above the roots.  Put it in water, or plant in soil, and put it in a sunny window.  Keep the soil moist. I haven't tried regrowing onions yet myself, but others say it will grow whole new onions this way.

I find the whole idea of growing good food from kitchen scraps an intriguing one, and am enjoying trying it out.

Re-Growing Vegetables, Part II

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips