Friday, June 21, 2013

Regrowing Veggies, update

Regrowing lettuce
Earlier I wrote about regrowing vegetables from kitchen scraps. Here is what the romaine lettuce looks like after another week.

As you can see, the new little leaves have grown quite a bit over the last week, and are a nice dark green.













Regrowing lettuce with water
I am also trying another lettuce stub with just water, and no soil, to see how that compares.  Yet another one is in soil outside, in a shady spot on my porch.  I don't really have a lot of hope for that one, with the hot weather, but I have a lot of lettuce stubs, so I feel free to try all the alternatives, just to see what works best.





Another vegetable often discussed for re-growing is the onion.  I used a couple of green onions earlier today, so I cut off the bottom ends and am trying to regrow those as well.  One website said something about never buying another onion again--so could that be practical, or are we talking major hyperbole?  I use lots of onions, folks!



I have also started the root end from a stalk of celery.

I'm having a lot of fun trying this whole thing of regrowing veggies, and will post updates on how well it works for me. If you have done this, please share your experiences with it as well.


Re-Growing Vegetables, Part III

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips