Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Rain Barrels

Over the last several years, I have managed to buy four rain barrels.  They're pretty expensive, so my plan has been to get one every couple of years.  Rain barrels really do save a lot on water for the garden.  Even a quarter inch of rain generally fills them back up.  Most of mine hold 50 gallons, and one holds 75.  That's a lot of water for a thirsty garden.

So far this year, I haven't had to use city water once for watering. Of course, it's been the rainiest time of year, and we've only started on the hot season.  Every year when my garden needs water most, the rain barrels are dry. Still, every little bit of rain we get usually fills them back up enough for several days.



Every new barrel I get makes a big difference.  I have to walk less, carrying watering cans to the garden beds, and the water lasts longer after each rain storm.  I'd love to get three more eventually.

Because of the prolonged drought here in the Central Plains, the aquifer and reservoir from which the city draws its water are getting lower.  The Wichita city council was recently discussing setting up $1,000 fines for people who used over a certain amount of water in a month.  It sounded like anyone who did much watering would end up with this fine.  While I know there are people who are wasteful with water, some of us try to be very sparing, yet do want to keep our gardens alive. For some folks, the summer garden makes a real difference in how well they can eat.

Now it sounds like the council has backed off from the $1,000 fine idea, and they're talking about offering rebates for city residents who buy smart sensors for irrigation systems, or rain barrels.  That idea sounded really interesting to me--I'd love to have a little help on buying a rain barrel! They haven't announced the specifics yet, but I'm keeping an eye on the news every day.  The rebate might be money back, or taken off the water bill. Either way works for me. That rebate would really make a difference to me on whether I can get another barrel this year.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips