Thursday, June 27, 2013

Thursday Thunderstorm

Earlier this evening strong thunderstorms moved into the area.  We had 70 mile per hour winds, with gusts reported to nearly 90.  Lots of tree limbs are down, and around town four tents set up for selling fireworks were blown over.  The last I heard, about 20,000 folks are without power now.  It went out briefly at my house, but is back on now.  When things calmed down, I went outside and moved broken limbs out to the front curb.  Tomorrow evening I'll get them broken down to haul away.


There was a lovely rainbow in the sky, and a golden glow of sunset over everything; quite a contrast to the storm just gone through.  Quite a few neighbors were out with cameras trying to capture it, but the rainbow was rather faint, so my attempted photo only showed clouds.

My rain gauge showed that we had an inch of rain, and all of my rain barrels are full.  I won't need to water for a few days, but when I do, I'll have plenty of free water.

When I went to walk the dog, there was a huge branch, almost half a tree, down at the end of the block, pulling a power line down under it.  It didn't look like the line snapped, but the pole was pulled at a funny angle instead of being upright. The electric utility people will be kept busy for a while.

No comments:

Fringed Tulips

Fringed Tulips